Friday, September 17, 2010

Open your eyes. Its there.




I have been struggling for a few days with what to write for Invisible Illness Awareness Week. Why? Well, cause I feel like I have to "defend" how serious my sons illness is everyday of my life. I wasn't too sure how writing about it would help. Now I feel inspired, so here I go.

Diabetes is a disease that knows very well how to camouflage itself, but if you really CARE to look you can see it.

You can see it in my sons blistered fingers.

You can see it in the blood drops all over his pants.

You can see it in the rings under his parents eyes from lack of sleep since diagnosis.

You can see it in the bag that they carry with them that is clearly not a pocketbook.

You can see it in the worry in their faces every time their son says "mooooom", in that voice that just tells SOMETHING IS WRONG.

You can see it in the little spots all over his tummy from injections, and infusion sites.

OK well some people are blind to the obvious huh? Lets try is this way.

You can actually hear it too.

Listen for the mother or father who wants so desperately to tell you how their son had a low that caused some memory loss, and how they wept in their rooms quietly as he slept.

Listen for how the youngest sibling feels left out because he isn't getting "presents" from people in shapes of insulin pumps, and other LIFE SAVING devices.

Listen to how the parent whispers in their sons ear at the BBQ "OK, just remember your tabs are in your pocket and I am right here".

Listen to the quiet vibration of the the device attached to this innocent child, while it's delivering LIFE SAVING medicine in the tiniest of doses.

Listen how the phone calls from the schools seem to be never ending.

You get the point. It's there. Just because you want to pretend it's not doesn't make it any less.

My son is 7 years old. He is a type 1 diabetic, since 10/21/08. He didn't cause this, neither did we. His body attacked itself and now his parents must act as his vital organ to keep him alive. He NEEDS insulin to LIVE. Just like you do. There's fear of complications, comas, seizures and dare I say even death. It's real. The faster you see it, embrace it and support us, the easier all of our lives will be.

To all my Diabetics, D moms, D dads, I SEE YOU. I HEAR YOU.

WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER.

13 comments:

Penny said...

Rock on my D-Momma-friend!

Reyna said...

I am with you sister. YOU and YOUR FAMILY are NOT INVISIBLE to me. LOVE.LOVE.

Lora said...

I wish there was a way to make them all less invisible. That way we wouldn't have to defend them everyday.
Great post :)

Denise said...

Great post! So true!!
My son was diagnosed the week after yours....can't believe 2 years is coming up. Wow!!

Alexis of Justices Misbehaving Pancreas said...

Thanks ladies, it was hard.

Penny you too girl!


Reyna LOVE LOVE LOVE always!

Lora, its almost that time, and well you know. I would love for Justice and Justin (oye) to talk, I wish they actually meet.

Denise, I know! It feels like eternity!

Heidi / D-Tales said...

Alexis, this is great. I know it's the end of Invisible Illness Awareness Week, but I almost think you should email this to your local newspaper. Maybe it's a slow news day! Maybe they'd put it in tomorrow's paper in the letters to the editor section. I just think these are words that others need to hear. Because most of the time, our kids look "normal," others don't understand the seriousness of their condition and what they and we endure 24/7. But this post was so well done. It'd be a great way to raise awareness. Nice job!

Alexis of Justices Misbehaving Pancreas said...

Heidi thank you! I didnt even think about that. I just did. I hope they respond! Ofcourse Ill let you know!

Wendy said...

Ahhh....BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

The little part about siblings being left out....that one stings. I worry about that so much.

So happy hear your words and feel them resonate in my heart.

So true....all of it so true....

Heather said...

Oh my goodness that is beautiful! After our walk today, I almost want to cry. It is all so true. I hope the newspaper publishes it!

Jen said...

So well put! Right back at ya friend!

Laura said...

Thank you for writing this! It's perfect in every way.

WE ARE NOT INVISIBLE!! WE WILL BE HEARD!!

MWAH!

Love you D-mama, Friend!

Renata said...

Right On!

Alexis of Justices Misbehaving Pancreas said...

Wow! I am so glad that you all liked the post, I was hesitant in writing it.

Love you all!

Celebrate With Us!