Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My 100th post! Naked Pancreas Meme!

Naked Pancreas - by the Misbehaving Crew
Reyna started it, Laura went next, so here I go. Me as a Pancreas exposed! Its so risque...

1. What kind of insulin management mode do you
use?

Justice pumps with a Silver Animas Ping named Sonic.

2. How often do you inject/change pump sites?
We change sites every 2 to 3 days. We use the Animas Contact Detach with steel canula. We had bad issues with palstic canulas. We adore the steel ones and Justice has 90% less site issues.

3. What type (s) of insulin do you use?
Novalog

4. What are your basal settings ?
Well when we started pumping it was awful cause Spirits increments were tooo big . Now with Ping basals have the smallest increment 0.025 which helps soo much!

12am to 4am: 0.475
4am to 6 am: 0.500
6am to 10am: 0.525
10am to 3pm: 0.475
3pm to 10pm: 0.500
10pm to 12am: 0.475

and we use temp basals like no tomorrow!

5. What are your correction factors?
well we have set Justices target bg higher while he sleeps then during the day so we ease up on his corrections as well. Normally his ISF is 1:80 when he sleeps its more like 1:110.

6. What are your meal ratios?
These change alot! I was nervous about sharing them before as Ive seen Js setting are higher than alot of kids his age..

Meals from 2am to 10am 1:10
meals from 10am to 5pm 1:14
meals from 5pm to 2am: 1:12

with variation depending on activity etc.

7. What do you do for activity?
Depends on the activity and for how long? At school recess calls for a free 10grams if under 100, PE a free 15 if under 120 amd if activity is over 30 minutes and strenuous such as swimming or running we do a reduced basal by 50% ans snacks vary on current bg.

8. How do you manage Pizza, Macaroni and Cheese, etc?

Pasta, pizza, and rice all calls for a combo bolus. We have found 50% upfront and 50% over 3 hrs works best. He still spikes 100 or so points but no lows and he comes back in range. For really high fat like lasagna we also do a temp basal of +20%.

9. How do you prefer to manage your logs/data?

When we were doing MDI we kept a daily log now I use the remote to look at graphs of meal analysis and all other times of day. I find the One Touch graphs and bg log on the meter remote to be so helpful and easy to read. So far so good. I am also without a pc right now so I cant do my logs as Id like.

but before endo appt I will print off the logbook for her to see.

Well there it is! So whos next?!

**UPDATE** Justices blood pressure was retaken today at primary care. It was normal!!! Thanks everyone for keeping me calm.

5 comments:

Reyna said...

WOW! THIS IS SOOOO COOL Alexis. I find it fascinating that kids of similar ages can have such different settings. I have started using the temp basal settings a lot more since interacting with the DOC...and have found that function sooo helpful. I'll try a bump up on a temp basal with lasagna next time...Joe always ends up in the 400s no matter what I do. He has only had lasagna like twice in his life. Poor little bastard. :(

Love you! Thanks!

Meri said...

This is so great! And really intersting. LOVE temp basals. They make things SO much easier!

Jamie said...

I'm loving this meme. Happy 100th!

Heather said...

Love seeing how everyone is different, yet same. I think how everyone tackles the combo bolus is the most interesting to me. We are still tweaking that a little so it's nice to see what others do. Gives me some ideas to try! Thanks for sharing your nakedness. :)

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful article. I truly do take pleasure in the wonderful job made by everyone

Celebrate With Us!