Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Today he saved a life...

Yup thats right. My son saved a life today. His own. Last night was weird to say the least. As I mentioned in yesterdays post Js sugars have been simply wonderful fuck me for talking about it right? Last night at bedtime J was 105 he had a small yogurt and hit the hay. Then it began dropped to 85 then 67 then back up to 90 and back down to 80 this happened all night even with juice, milk and pixie sticks. He would not come over 85. Not to mention a reduced basal of 50%. Yup. I actually slept most of the night but dh was up from bedtime at 8 until 7am. J was at 95 before breakfast and wanted to go to school. Now he boluses at 820 and starts school at 845 lunch isnt until noon. Normally hes between 130 and 170 by noon but with all the lows last night we asked the nurse to check him at 10 wether he felt low or not. About 1hr 45 min post bolus we called and had her check it was around 10am he was at 135 and felt great. His insulin duration is 3hrs so we figured all is well bgs are where they normally are. We assumed last night was just a fluke. We always get a call at noon from the nurse with his before recess bgs and then 12 15 or so with pre lunch bgs. Well today the call came in a little early. Dh answered the phone half asleep and all i heard was wait 32 or 132. Nope he was fucking 32. Dh was in bed and i was already dressed getting Syn ready for afternnoon kindergarten so I grabbed the keys and ran the 2 blocks to the school. I called on the way he was drinking a juice box and wouldnt be allowed to eat lunch till he was atleast 80. I finally get there and he was at 122. Phew. Ok good he sat down next to me and ate while the nurse told me what happpened. He was in class it was minutes before the class would get ready for recess and J would come to nurse. He told his teacher he felt low. She dialed the nurses office and just as she was about to tell J to his smarties the nurse was on the way he was already shoving them in his mouth. ----J wears a tummietote with his pump, a meter strips and lancing device,glucose gel and drink and smarties. I di so he never has to wait to treat a low. The nurse has everything but sometimes waiting 5 minutes can be the difference bwteen life and death.---------the nurse got to the class and wheeled J on a rolling chair to the office. She then checked his sugar and it was 32 with the smarties granted it wasnt a full 15 min but still omg!! I do want to say i told her next time to checkc him in the class as soon as she gets to him. Yes he treated but in case smarties wasnt enough they should check bg to see how low he is. Anyway he said to me mommy i remembered my smartgies when my teacher called the nurse! Are you proud?? See we had practiced this but it never happened and he remembered what do today when it did! If he hadnt eaten the smarties i hate to think what couldve happened. He told me later his super powers got all tingly and he knnew he was low. Like spidey sense. I was scared shitless when i got the whole story more so than normally when hearing about a low. Justiice impressed me today in a way i couldnt ever imagine. Hes totally a superhero and today he saved his first life. His own. Thank you god.

12 comments:

Scott Strange said...

he's a good man, with a fantastic support group in his family. If only all D kids had this

Tony said...

How scary is that, which I'm sure happens quite a bit. I've been told that children should run a bit higher than what would be expected of an adult just because of the activity, growing, etc.. When I feel low, I always treat first then test because as you said, it can mean life or death and the seconds or minutes might just make a difference. I feel for all parents with children having diabetes. It's difficult enough taking care of myself when I know the symptoms and my body. To have to figure it out for a child just seems too much to ask of any parent. I know you have to, but being a parent of a perfectly healthy kid is hard enough. I get choked up every time I read about kids with diabetes. Thanks for sharing your story and being involved in the DOC.

Crystal said...

Wow. Just wow. Justice, kudos to you buddy. You did GArate today!! Those super powers are pretty awesome when we need them. ((hugs))

When I was in HS, had to walk about a football field then two stair cases down to the nurses office, by the time I got there (I was in study hall, could not concentrate on math homework, knew I was low) I was 20 mg/dl. Or some such madness. Nurses said I looked white as a ghost. I was coherent. Totally with it, just really tired. I ate a Lot, so I bolused. They flipped out, "But you are so low!"

I think between the nurses, my teachers and my Mom.... the level of tension and anxiety should have blown the roof off the school. I came up, went back to my homework.

Eh. Never thought of it as super powers. I think they are, Justice. Thank you for allowing us to hear your story today.

Daniel Dunn said...

yeah Justice, you go big man!!! totally cool, let me know when you and your parents can come out and ski with me, we can check together, and take care of being low. Tell you Dad, thanks a lot for sharing, that's very cool and brave of him.
Daniel

Kim said...

High five to Justice! Those situations can be scary and confusing, and he totally rocked it.

Heidi / D-Tales said...

Way to go, Justice!!!! And way to go Alexis, because the fact that he knew what to do meant that you've taught him well! Be proud!

BTW, Jack plummeted to 32 today, too. Fortunately, he's home on fall break, so I was with him. But, still, LOW lows like that are scary!

Renata said...

WOOHOOO! You tell that boy he is awesome for recognizing he needed to step in himself. What an awesome boy.

Reyna said...

WOW Alexis. Fist off (((HUGS))) to you. How scary and secondly a high five to your super hero, Justice! Way to go Justice...way to go. Yep, pretty scary to think about how low he actually was. I hope last night went better for you guys and that Justice hasn't had any more lows. What is it with all of our boys being low lately? Justice, Joe, and Justin??? Lora was right, Lows are like periods!

Alexis of Justices Misbehaving Pancreas said...

Thanks all for your amazing comments and constant support. Last night was better he was 95 mid a combo I canceled it and sure enough he dropped to 77 an hr later but a nice snack and reduced basal and an hr later he hit 147 and even 190 at 3am phew! I say phew cause the night before with all those carbs and reduced basal...he never spiked. Cde was baffled. He woke this am at 170 and was 135 two hr post bolus at school and 95 at recess. Thank god. But they just called with a 55. I am gonna change his bf ic and hope that helps with lunch lows..possibly changing dinner too. Sorry for the longwinded update Im seriously was shaken up yesterday I kept saying to dh 35 after smarties.....omg...anyway im off to the school now...typing while dh is driving.....

Alexis of Justices Misbehaving Pancreas said...

oh and Reyna love hope all our Js are done with these lows!!

Lora said...

I hate lows. I am so glad he felt it. Thats a BIG issue around here... Justin feels nothing.

shannon said...

Catching up on your posts. This was such a scary situation that Justice handled beautifully! So glad he was clear-headed enough to take the proper action.

Celebrate With Us!