Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How the superhero came to be.

As requested by Jen of I am your Pancreas, I wanted to explain how and why the superhero on my blog came to be.

You see we dont call Justice's Diabetes his disease. It is his superpower. Well it was, now he has explained Diabetes is his nemesis and insulin gives him superpowers. Without it he loses his ability to fight.

His pump doses the amount of power needed. If high then he doesnt have enough power and if low his power is too strong.

I cant recall exactly when this started but I do owe alot of it to a book we were given at dx called "Even superheroes get Diabetes". He loved it. That was the last thought he gave to it though.

Then I was online at work one day and found this adorable lil D superhero (the one you see above) I printed it out and J colored it in. It made him so happy!

But again last thought he gave it. Until one day he was having a really rought D day. Persistant lows that weakened his 85lb body like nobodys business. He cried in my arms and told me how he hated D and his life sometimes. What does a mother say? What does she do? I refuse to act like his feelings are not valid but I also dont want D to stop his life or will to live!

I WONT ALLOW IT. D WILL NOT TAKE MY SONS SPIRIT.

So I bit my lip, fought back the tears and said "Juicy (his nickname since birth) I wish I could say I understand but youre right I dont exactly. I see how much Diabetes hurts you and I need you to kinow as your mother that means it hurts me. If I could give you my pancreas I would please know I would do anything to take it from you. But I cant. (I then told him something I never told him or anyone. When we were sitting in ICU watching them hook Justice up to monitors and giving us the official dx and feeling like our whole world had just shattered. My husband interrupted the doctor, wipes his tears and said with more sincerity than you could imagine what if we do a transplant? I CAN GIVE HIM MY PANCREAS!!" ofcourse doc explained we couldnt do that. When Justice heard this he smiled so big. He really got how much we love him.) As much as this disease sucks ass (yea I said it sue me), I am grateful we have the medicine and machines to keep you alive and with me! ---he cries and hugs me---Now do you wanna know what mommy thinks?------he nodds yes---I think God chose the kids who can handle Type 1. To teach others about acceptance and compassion. You were put here to educate and help others. Maybe its your superpower Juicy!!

As you can see from above he has perfected and altered my theory slightly.

He is D boy. Diabetes is his nemesis. His insulin and pump are his superpower enducing apparatus'. He will not stop until a cure is found and he will keep kicking Ds ass everyday. He helps newly diagnosed children and recruits them for his D league. Also known as Justices Pancreatic Avengers (walk team name).

Mommy and daddy are the superheros parents. We dress him, prepare his power juice and other equipment he needs. Synsyre is his sidekick Ribbon boy. He shoots out D ribbons like spiderman shoots webs. His power is advocating.

This has been given alot of thought and on rough days really helps. It gives his D purpose and makes him feel in control as much as possible.

Diabetes is hard, long, stressful road but with a kick ass superhero and sidekick its a lil easier than before.Photobucket

Cute sidenote. After Justice has been bolused he says Ive been insulized!".

10 comments:

Tracy (The Crazy Pancreas) said...

We call Z a Superhero too. He LOVES that book, but wishes he had the working pancreas from the end.

He actually told me today that he wishes he didn't have Diabetes and didn't have to have "that" (pointing to his pump site).

He is too young to go into details. I just agreed with him that I wish he didn't have it either. It sucks. Period.

Thanks for sharing this post. And I LOVE your superhero logo!

Renata said...

What an awesome story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Heidi / D-Tales said...

Great story!

When Jack was first diagnosed, he was only four years old and really into super heroes. Ever since, I've called him "my super hero." I call Max "my super star."

But I just love the story behind your super hero!

Lora said...

Those are two kick ass superheroes if you ask me :)

Denise said...

LOVE this. Love you guys!

Reyna said...

You are one heck of a tale weaver GIRL! I love this. I love Justice. I super-LOVE you. Great story. I want to share it with Joe when our Thanksgiving company leaves.

Laura said...

Good Hell Woman - you have me laughing and crying with this post! You are such a wonderful mom. I hope to be able to use some of those wonderful words of wisdom when Nate has the same questions.

Love you!

Deanna said...

I don't think we've read this book. I'll have to look it up. My Jax is really into super hero's too. Thanks for sharing this story. :)

Donna ((Sweet Momma)) said...

I just may have to use some of that on Sugar Boy!
LOVE IT!! =)

Heather said...

That is an awesome story! Thanks for sharing!

Celebrate With Us!