Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Tattoo

I have one. Biggah has one. Its our badges. Our representation of our endless support and will to battle Type 1 Diabetes everyday. For us it was a no brainer. Yes we are both heavily inked ( I have 12 myself), but either way I know its something we would have done.

When someone else gets one and tellls you so non chalantly ''Hey mama. Send me a pic of Juicys rubbon. Im getting it tatted for him this week", it melts your heart.

Her name is Nikki. Shes technically (whatever) Biggahs baby sister, but we have bonded over the last 10yrs in a way that makes the term in law null and void. Our friendship and bond has been thru hell and back. We are real sisters so through all the good, the bad, the ugly, and the bullshit, we still stand.

My love for her and her love for me isnt the whole picture though. Her nephews. For crying out loud. They adore her. And she them. But her and Juicy ( Js nickname) have a bond that cant be explained. She was there when I first found out I was pregnant, there when I got my first day of morning sickness, ate with me when I craved shit Biggah refused to smell, she loved Juicy before he was born.

Leaving NY was one of the hardest things we did. Nikki and her boys (my nephews) being one of the biggest reasons.

Shes still learning how all his equipment works, and his ranges, and if we lived back home I have no doubt she would know it all.

We dont talk as much as we used to. Time difference, D interferes, everyday stress. But the love hasnt changed.

And her support and love for J? Well its clearly permanent.

"I love you auntie Nikki".
Photobucket
(Justices ribbon is to left. Heart disease awareness (which she lives with, and we walk for!) is to the right.



16 comments:

Amy said...

Now THAT's the kind of famiy you want support you!!!!! Seriously cool sister you have . . . but it sounds like you already know that ;)

Lora said...

LOVE IT!!!

nikki tinglez said...

It's one of the greatest things I ever got to for Justice I love & miss U guys Mwuahzzzzzzz

Nikki of Our Diabetic Warrior said...

Love it!!!

Penny said...

LOVE it! That's support and true family! What a wonderful blessing to have her in your life!
Oh and I have 3 myself :0)

Meri said...

Holy Moley! That is love!

Jen said...

Wow! That is AMAZING!

Heather said...

That is really cool!

Michael Hoskins said...

Now that's some beautiful body artwork there, Alexis. And what an awesome family. Thanks for sharing some an awesome tale of support and love!

Reyna said...

WOW, that is some Auntie Lex!!! And, I love that J's nickname is Juicy. That is cool.

sweetmystery6 said...

what a great relationship! i also have a diabetes tat for myself, i'll have to post it sometime!

Heidi / D-Tales said...

Relationships like that are so special! Lucky you! Lucky Justice! And lucky Nikki!

htimm=) said...

Beautiful art work and I love the relationship and bond you have!

Wendy said...

AUNT NIKKI!!!! I LOVE YOU TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Princess LadyBug said...

Auntie Nikki, I don't know you, but I love you too!! That's awesome! I think tattoos are a beautiful way to show someone how much they mean to you.

My youngest brother is a tattoo artist. Heck, he's an artist full stop. An amazing artist. He's also quite inked. I call him my illustrated brother. Somewhere on him body (and I can't tell you where because I always forget the order) there is a tat for each of his siblings & our niece & nephew. There's a glass of iced tea for our sister, Tammy, because we all call her Sweet T. There is a miniature of the Native American bear rune that my other brother has on the back of his left shoulder. And don't tell but there are several for me. He has several tiny ladybugs in different places. He says it makes him feel like we are always with him. :)

Robin B said...

Boy. I would hope you don't mind. But I think I will also get these ribbons...But I will do mine a little different. I have a Type 1, heart desease and breast cancer...You have inspired me to do this, although I have wanted the Type 1 for a while...
Thank you so much for sharing.

Celebrate With Us!