Monday, April 4, 2011

Overdue Post...

I am  sorry. I am  behind,  I know. I was  supposed  to blog  a month or so ago about Apidra. Reyna has posted, and since  she was the one who asked ME  to post, I know I  am slacking.

So  here it goes.

I  am  not as smart, or  savvy as Reyna on  the bloggin' front,  so if you wanna get all the Do's,  Don'ts  and Dr. warnings click here, for all that good  schtuff.

Now, back in  December at  our endo appointment I asked about Apidra. I had heard about it from Laura and  Lorraine.  Both raved about  it, and  if  there's anyone  I trust  its my  Dmamas.

But his A1C  was holding  steady  at  6.9 (since pumping, we used  Novalog), so was there really  more improvement  needed? Well,  if you know me you know  the  answer

So I  told the endo we wanted it.  Her  being  the  fabulous endo  she is  grabbed me 4  vials.  Enough  to  last until our next appointment. And  we were off!

WOW>>WOW>>WOW!!!

I see more stability  in overnight numbers.

I  see NO  post prandial spikes for lunch and  dinner, and we bolus at  start of meal.

I  see  tiny post prandial spikes for breakfast if any, after much trial and error. Combo bolus, Super bolus,  Super  basal didn't work for  us. A simple 20 min  pre bolus was all we needed! Apidra works FAST  so  if you do pre-bolus, make sure food is ready, and you're not under 100. I found if you are, you may  crash  fast. Just MY thoughts, I aint no Dr. remember?

I see less lows.

Highs come down faster.

IOB is spot on!

I LOVE APIDRA. I used  to always test Justice 2 hours post prandial, and  very often an hour after eating just to see what was going on. I  was amazing  at the 200s that would come from a simple meal, even  if he started at 98! But with Apidra he will start the meal at 98, hit 130, maybe 140, and come right back down! More often than not  he will STAY  at that 98! OR whatever his starting bg is.

So we switched, and  have never looked back.

It just so happens we started Dexcom 4 weeks after Apidra,  so I was able to  capture  the proof, to back up my love for this insulin.



Breakfast and Snack time

Overnight.  Sleep 140-150 all night

Pay no attention to post recess low. That "spike" is waffles!

Lost reception when he left room but  that was 100-->, while sleeping.




Well last week we went back to the  Endo. I was excited, I knew numbers were WAY better, and  I know a a lot of that was  because of Apidra  (Although Dex allows me to run him tighter and not worry AS much)

The endo  came  in.  Smiled  and said "6.5, I hope its not because of  constant  lows!". Of course J has lows. He is  8, and wild. I cant always plan when he will bounce off the walls, with a temp basal or snack, BUT I knew Apidra had helped us knock those post prandials down, and THAT was HUGE! I  feel it made a huge impact  on his A1C and  general "control".

So here at Misbehaving' we love us some Apidra and I think when you have a CGM to support  it:

Its  fucking amazing!!

Disclaimer: I am not a nurse. Not a Dr. Not a CDE. I am a mom, a wanna be pancreas, and  a blogger. Get it? Also while I say Apidra IS amazing, it AIN'T a CURE!? Get it? Good.

15 comments:

Nikki of Our Diabetic Warrior said...

Sending a big, "WOO HOO!!!!" Way to go! I'm so glad that you found something that worked.

I LOVE your new picture by the way. I really like your hairstyle.

Lorraine of "This is Caleb..." said...

Never overdue. Glad it worked out so well.

Tracy (The Crazy Pancreas) said...

We are Apidra lovers too. :)

Joanne said...

Glad it works for you... those graphs are LOVELY! I'd love to give it a try, but unfortunately, it cannot be diluted, which we still need to do to the humalog.

Jules said...

i love the verdict ! "its fucking amazing" i imagine that printed on the bottom of their glossy brochures :)

Reyna said...

Pumpin the 'Pidra is definitely a plus for us these days. Thanks for posting Lex. I have been pretty darn happy about the results. Especially the 3 days out of our sites and somewhat less lability.

Lora said...

I can do it... I can do it... change is GOOD... change is GOOD!!!

Val said...

Not to rain on your parade, but as a former Apidra user, I just want to warn you.... I saw fabulous numbers and a lot of stability with Apidra...when it worked.

But, I also had lots and lots of trouble with bottles going bad, usually ten days after opening but occasionally as early as 3. I tried 3 different pharmacies (never putting the first bottle in my own fridge at all) and saw the same issue: some times, perfect. Some times, nada. And when your insulin is dying, those post-meal spikes hit 400 after every meal.

I finally decided getting better numbers on a new bottle but climbing into the 300s consistently after a few days was just not worth it, and went back to Novolog. My post-meal spikes are bigger, but I can use the entire bottle, open the next, and not see drastic changes in my basal rates and reactions to boluses. YMMV, and for your sake I hope it was my area distributor and not the Apidra itself.

Kerry said...

That is flipping amazing! Look at that line! I must ask out endo about this stuff thanks so much to you and Reyna for sharing this info.

Alissa said...

Great post. I'll be asking our Endo about it in a few weeks.Thanks!!!!

Jen said...

You gals and your miracle Apidra stories are KILLING me! I am so Happy so many of you have found it to be so amazing..we did not have the same experience (as much as I wanted to!!!!) After your posts this week though, I may have to try it again now that we have dexie and just make sure it isn't a miracle waiting to happen for us! Rock on mama pancreas!

Anna said...

just asked about it yesterday for our next appointment! We've got the Dex to help too and I'm excited to see how it will work. Awesome for you!

Anonymous said...

i am so happy for you Apidra works so well. We prefer it greatly to Novolog as well, but do not experience such miraculous results, unfortunately. Still pp spikes, but less, and still have to check two hours postprandially and adjust But huge improvement because Apidra's DIA is 3.5 whereas for us Novolog's is 4.5 to 5 hours. And love that Apidra is stronger in the initial two hours of the bolus; also love that it is fast with corrections. I think for those with shorter DIAs on Novolog, your results would be similar. Very happy for you!

Jessica said...

I've had a few bottles of the stuff in my fridge since Laura started raving... um... almost a year ago? And my chicken ass just dragged them out now since he's getting over an illness/breathing treatments/steroids/antibiotics and the settings all went to hell anyhow. Thanks for sharing those lovely dex graphs- I'm hoping this works for Liam. :)

Kris said...

It's awesome stuff, isn't it? We have been using it for about 6 months now, and I would never switch back! Love, love, LOVE it!!!

Celebrate With Us!