Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Blue Candles..Again.



Two young lives lost today. Ages 13 and 19. To Type 1 Diabetes. I didn't plan to write again for a few days. But I needed to. 


The fear consumes you.

I can feel the tightness in my chest.

The sweat on the palm of my hands.

Thoughts racing though my mind at a lightening speed.

I check. I check. I check again.

Closing my eyes but never truly falling into slumber. 

Too scared of what could be.


I cant wait till morning when I can see his face smiling at me again.

Every night. 

Every morning.

I say a prayer.

I thank GOD.

Tonight I ask him to watch over those lost.

To comfort the grieving parents.

To find us a cure. 





6 comments:

Jules said...

what a terrible terrible thing :(

Anonymous said...

Two more! Heartbreaking. Will pray for the parents and for us. Teen years are a very dangerous time, because of the extreme growth hormones. Doses can triple then go back to regular dose in the course of one evening. And I don't even want to think of what can happen if even one or two drinks at a party are consumed. And, of course, it is only natural that this will happen someday. Praying that a safer insulin, at least, such as Smart Insulin will be available in a few years. Or an Artificial Pancreas of some kind. We need to make this a safer disease, long before a cure is found. The risks that come with using insulin seem less and less acceptable. I am glad the DOC is keeping track of this because I was mistakenly led to believe this can rarely, if ever, happen.

Michael Hoskins said...

Oh no... Hadn't heard that. Tragedy again the Diabetes Community. Indeed: we NEED a cure. These things shouldn't be happening.

Reyna said...

Thank you for your words Lexi. As always you are a source of comfort and support in the DOC.

My heart is with these families during this difficult time.

meanderings said...

Like you, the young people are in my prayers, along with their families.

Heidi / D-Tales said...

I'm with you. We need a cure!

Your words are so moving.

Celebrate With Us!