Monday, November 14, 2011

World Diabetes Day 2011. Blue Heels.

First let me say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! To the man who saved my sons life, and countless others.

Dr. Bantings the medical marvel who discovered insulin, his birthday is today. That's the significance of this date for World Diabetes Day.

While insulin is NOT a cure, it is a means to live. Without it Justice would DIE.

That's right. No exaggeration. Fact.

Everyone does different things to celebrate this day.

My house is lit up in Blue, with a Blue ribbon in the window.

The kids wore Blue shirts and ribbons to school.

I was decked out in Blue, diabetes ribbons, and my special WDD shirt from The Diabetes Dude, as was my husband.

Something else happened though.

A revolution. A movement.

It all started with this picture, I posted, and a small idea I had.

Next thing I knew Diane (Dmama diva, shoe lover and my friend), and Tony (That's right Type 1 Rider!), were messaging, texting, and calling me to brainstorm how we can make my small idea into a HUGE MOVEMENT.

And so on the eve of WDD, Blue Heel Society was born.

We are about change. Awareness. Advocacy. Support. No money. No fundraising.

Blue heels for a cause.

Walking in your swaggalicious Blue heels to show support for ALL those living with Diabetes, and let people know we are here.

Much like these fabulous Louboutins below, shoes are gorgeous. Sexy, fun, the envy of others sometimes. But what people don't see is the pain the person wearing them has. The discomfort. How much work it takes to move in these shoes.

Sounds like Diabetes huh?

Well....

If BG is high what do we do?

Bolus.

Heels?

WE ADVOCATE.

Be part of the movement.

One foot in front of the other.

My son, your husband, her mother, his sister, YOU.

Together.

www.TheBlueHeelSociety.blogspot.com

www.twitter.com/BlueHeelSociety

www.facebook.com/BlueHeelSociety

www.zazzle.com/BlueHeelSociety

You in?


6 comments:

Kelly said...

Ah damn! I can't walk in heels, I'm a flip flop beach kinda girl...but you can count me in! Such an awesome movement ahead, I can feel it.....

Kelly said...

Ah damn! I can't walk in heels, I'm a flip flop beach kinda girl...but you can count me in! Such an awesome movement ahead, I can feel it.....

Cara said...

I'm in! You know me and my love of heels. :) If they don't hurt, they aren't pretty enough! :D

Jules said...

Inspired! Cute cute shoes too.

Princess LadyBug said...

I can't wear heels, but you know I'm in!! :D

Love you!!

Holly said...

Oh my gosh, yes! Any reason to wear heels (and buy new ones!) is a great reason to me!! : ) (Bonus: diabetes awareness!)
You are so creative! : ) HOpe you have an awesome heel-worthy Thanksgiving! : ) Hugs!

Celebrate With Us!