Sunday, January 29, 2012

Its Not The Why, But The How....

How I can sit quietly, and allow the judgement, ignorance, misconceptions and false information to continue?

How can I pretend that a war is not raging in my child's (and husband, father, granny and friends) body everyday.

How can I ignore the fact that 35,000 a year are diagnosed with Type 1 YET doctors still miss the signs, and people are dying due to misdiagnosis?

How can I not educate others that Type 2, is NOT just a "lifestyle" disease?

How can I not worry for my son's future and yours?

How can I ignore that children are dying in their sleep due to low bgs?

How can I not be scared that the un-insured will die because they can't access the simple supplies they need to stay alive?

How can I not be the shoulder that another needs to lean on in time of hardship and sadness?

How can I not make it my business to empower my son with not only the tools he needs but the confidence to get through the day?

How can I not point out the media's mistakes and let them know the real facts?

How can I not stand up for what I know is right, for people I adore, respect and admire?

How can I pretend Diabetes is no big deal?

I can't do any of these things.

I won't.

I refuse.

Its not easy, I still cry, I still get burnt out, I still pray everynight this is a bad dream and a cure is right around the corner, I still wonder somedays why my family was chosen to fight this fight.

But I take a deep breath, look into those deep brown loving eyes, and I know its not the why that matters, but the how.

2 comments:

Denise aka Mom of Bean said...

So, so true!

Jen said...

Great post Alexis, thanks for sharing!

Celebrate With Us!