Thursday, March 29, 2012

A D Mom In Paisley...Learning Her Way...

The endo appointment is done, phew! No not D-Boy's, mine!

I have a (double?) confirmed diagnosis of Hashimoto's, and vitamin D deficiency. We are waiting for the Crohn's test result from NJ. Endo is a little less aggressive on adrenal fatigue than natural doc, but saw the labs and agrees mama NEEDS rest and less stress.

No thyroid meds are needed at this time, so endo will follow along with the natural supplement program and retest my labs in 3 months along with an ultrasound to check for any scarring or nodules on my thyroid.

Apparently the vit D thing ain't no joke either, who know vit D was that important?? Not I!

Let me tell you something. I was starting to think I was nuts. No doctor found anything wrong, I told them them symptoms, I begged for further testing but nothing. Weight gain no matter what I ate or how hard I worked out, irritable, bloating, headaches, panic attacks, exhaustion, and crazy bowels...(TMI sorry!)

I think honestly the worst part of all this is the hormone imbalance (my progesterone and estrone are waaaay out of range, GYN appt next, but looks like Hashimotos is the cause), which causes anxiety and even depression. Couple that with Diabetes, and lack of sleep and its a recipe for disaster.

FYI Hashimoto's is AUTOIMMUNE. I think there's a pattern here....anyway...

I also didn't realize either that lack of sleep could cause my adrenals to be stressed. That it could actually cause health issues? WOW. (Adrenal fatigue can be prevented and reversed, unlike Hashimoto's which I will have forever). But really what choice do we have? We have to test our babies, we have to boost those lows and correct those highs......

But I guess I don't have to be perfect. I don't have to correct a 164 at midnight. I can let it rock and get some sleep. Not only can I , but I have to. Doctors orders.

"If you continue getting up every 3 hours, and not sleeping in a year you may not be able to get out of bed. Your body is crying for help". That's my Functional Medicine Doc talking....and shit....I have to listen.

What good am I to Justice, his bgs, or my family as a whole if I cant function?

What good are any of us?

I want YOU yes YOU to know taking care of yourself is not selfish. It is necessary. It is a MUST.

We all want such perfection for our kids, we worry day in and day out about the what if's and shit the lows still do that to me, don't get me wrong, but I have learned not to freak out if hes 170 all night. I will keep him safe and still be able to get the rest MY body needs and deserves.

And you know what? I am nicer. Yup. My patience is higher and I am enjoying my son more. I still rage bolus a high, and change sites on time, and check him through the night...but I am doing it without putting my body at risk. Of course both my doctors would like me to sleep for 8 hours straight but lets be real...my husband works graveyard...night checks is on me, and I wont stop doing them, ever..so that wont happen.

But for now those 5 hour stretches....they are a big step. Huge.

I am committed to change. To sleeping when I can, and resting when I need to. Even if that means the house is a mess, the kids stay in their jammies and the bg is not at a perfect 110.

I have a long road ahead. I had some kind of infection, and got put on antibiotics, and had an adverse reaction causing me to vomit at work. New meds, and some rest. It's been a rollercoaster of a week.

I start a detox and cleanse in the next few days so that I can cleanse my liver, gall bladder, and other organs. I have been warned the first month will be the hardest and there may be days I feel like complete shit.

I am on Vit D, Emulsified D, D complex with Cod liver oil, B12, and I'm sure I am missing something. There is so much more coming I can't keep up. Thank God for my amazing husband and my mom who have literally been there every step of the way, and thank you to those who have been there for me, I couldn't deal with all these emotions and physical changes alone.

But here I go...on my new journey....

I am a D -Mom who now rock's paisley....I don't know if I am ready, but I have a little boy who shows me what strength and courage is....I think I am going to follow his lead...

.





8 comments:

Princess LadyBug said...

Thyroid awareness has a "colour"?! Coolness. I can rock BLUE paisley. :D

I'm so proud of you!!! You're doing great. And you know what is really surprising? You will actually sleep better when you are less exhausted. I'm not kidding. A few weeks after they change my thyroid meds, I rediscover how lovely it is to sleep well.

So just keep breathing & it's going to be all good. :)

Love you bunches & bunches!!!

Kelly said...

A new new journey for the better! I hear ya on the hormones! Ive gained 10lbs since my Hysterectomy and Ive been a MESS as far as energy and motivation, of course the sleep (lack of) has caused everything to explode into having no choice but to let the numbers go overnight, just like you say! But you are right, we NEED that stretch of sleep and tad higher numbers aren't gonna matter so much when you consider WE are healthy too!

Sarah Sugabetic said...

Hugs to you girl. I sorta can relate. Since having BabyK, all of my stuff is out of whack. One thing we found is that my thyroid function has started decreasing again, so we had to up my synthroid. Before that, I had constant panic attacks and would cry 3-5 times every day. It's getting better and I'm starting to feel like myself again.
I need to read more about the vit D deficiency though. Would love to know more about it.

Elizabeth said...

Well, I, for one, love paisley, and I am uber jealous that YOUR ribbon is cooler than MY ribbon :P So glad that things are getting figured out for you. Now, as hard as it is, LISTEN to all the doctors have to say and at least DO half of it ;)

Penny said...

I am so happy you are taking care of yourself sweetie! We are all here for you.

Michael Hoskins said...

HYou're absolutely right: If J is any model, you're going to be fine when it comes to strength and courage. Because don't forget - not only is he displaying those characteristics, but he learned them from somewhere (hint: YOU!!!). Hugs you're way, my friend!

adrienne said...

Alexis!

I found your blog via Twitter - this post specifically -and I am so SORRY! I have had Hashi's since I was 16. Not officially diagnosed till I was 19, and last summer at 29 I had a total thyroidectomy. If you EVER need someone to talk to about it, or have questions, I've been to about a thousand ENT's, OBGYNs and finally my son's Endo who did the ultrasound. Goiters and nodules.

You have SO much you can do since it was caught "early" take advantage of your TSH/T3/T4 tests and do them quarterly and you will feel like a new woman (in addition to that Vitamin D).

It has been a long road for me. I'm turning 30 this year, and couldn't figure out forever the exhaustion/stress I daily felt, along with my hair falling out among other symptoms.

This is going to be a big change, but a good one! And please email me if you have questions, I've been through it all! You are a wonderful mom, and your super kids are lucky to have you!

xo
Adrienne

shannon said...

hugs to you as you start this new journey. i love what you said about being inspired by the strength of your kids. keep on truckin!

Celebrate With Us!