Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Type 1 Teen Hijacked My Blog!!!

Haha. Not really. I'm going to keep my intro short & sweet. My keyboard is broken for 1 and for 2,   I love this girl so much I may end up writing till tomorrow.

Reed.

A type 1 teen with celiac, a JDRF youth ambassador and one of the coolest people I know has blessed my blog with a guest post. Read on, I promise you'll love her as much as I do.  She is kickin' D's ass while rocking the Omnipod, and a smile that is contagious.  It's all yours Reed...

***************************************************

You know, for some reason I find it easy to write blog entries, maybe because I have that weird, paranoid feeling in the back of my head that no one really takes the time to read it through, so I feel more like I'm talking to myself. But the fact that I know people read your blog, Alexis, and therefore will be reading this...*cue absolute fear I'll make a fool of myself.

And on that note...hi! My name is Reed, I'm fifteen (almost sixteen!) years old, and my wonderful friend and Gluten-free partner in crime Alexis invited me to guest blog here about my story, as well as tell you about my own blog that starting up, called The Secret Life of the Diabetic Teenager.

So once upon a time about nine years ago in the magical world of Nebraska, my mother started noticing some...strange goings-on while we were visiting my aunt in the small town of Alliance. I was sleeping for over twelve hours, drinking and eating nearly everything in sight, and rapidly losing weight. In fact, she even told me that she found me at about five am, sitting in the basement shaking and eating a bag of Skittles watching a muted television. I'd been diagnosed with Celiac disease for a while then, and my mother was convince that I was somehow getting wheat into my system, though she had no idea how. She made an appointment with my doctor for a week after we returned, and started reading more food labels. She was sure she could find whatever it was that was making me sick in no time.

Well we got back to Vegas, and I still wasn't getting better, so she employed my dad (he doesn't go out to Nebraska with us; the mosquitos swarm him like there's an unofficial 'Bite Me' sign on him) to start reading labels, convinced we missed something. Still nothing. That doctors appointment for the following week started looking very helpful...and very far away.

I never saw that doctors appointment. Instead, I woke up in the middle of the night throwing up, unable to keep water down. I was terrified, and refused to go to the hospital. In fact, the only reason I even got in the car to go to the hospital was that my Dad convinced me we were just going to Quick Care down the street. I was one pissed off seven-year-old when we drove right by it, heading towards the ER instead.

I'm sure you can figure out what happened next. Woke up in the hospital, the doctor said I had Type 1 Diabetes, and my life was turned upside down. Almost nine years later, it still feels like that at times. School still isn't an easy endeavor, and there's that one teacher every year who I can tell really wants to fail me because I didn't show up for a few (sometimes a lot more than a few) classes and I took a while to get the missing work in (oddly enough it's my religion teacher this year...I thought God forgave people? Whatever). But really, if my blood sugar's high I'm not going to be much use to you in class. Really, I'll probably just piss you off more than anything. The teachers have yet to get that.

So as I stated before, I'm starting up my own blog, called The Secret Life of the Diabetic Teenager (parody of that one show on ABC that I don't watch nor do I care to watch because it's the furthest thing from a real American teenager's life). It talks about my day-to-day life, the quirks I have with diabetes, and just fun stuff in general. I just did an update about Easter and how there's a chocolate bunny on my counter sitting there and just begging me to eat it (my will is slowly crumbling). So if you like Alexis' blog, and you like sarcasm, and you like ways to procrastinate, I would highly recommend taking a look at it. I literally launched it yesterday and it's already getting some awesome feedback. But I really want to help reach out to other people in this never-ending battle, and show them that there is a silver lining to all this; getting to meet amazing people like Alexis, who I really look up to for being so strong in situations where I would probably fall apart into little tiny pieces. Getting to meet amazing kids like Justice and Synsyre, who make your world a little brighter. And getting to read messages from people about how I'm making a difference in their lives. Because that's when I feel like I'm a superhero up there with D-Boy and Ribbon (guest appearance, Alexis? Hmm?).

On that note...that's about it for me. And even if you don't look at my blog, if you took the time to read this and it made you smile a little...I'm grateful for that. So thanks.

(¯`v´¯) `*.¸.*´ ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨) (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•

These are hard times for dreamers like us...

Click here for more amazing Reed....



1 comment:

Mike Hoskins said...

Thanks for the guest-blog post, Reed! Great thing to hear you're starting your own D-blog. You have a valuable voice and perspective, and am glad to hear you're able to use it in the Diabetes Online Community! See you around the blogosphere!

Celebrate With Us!