Sunday, June 17, 2012

Summer has arrived!

Holy crap. I have missed blogging!!!! My awesome dad got me an iPad for my birthday which means....no more blogging from a phone!!

Anyhow. So much has happened and I will cover that shortly but can we talk about summer bgs for a moment??

OMG HOLY CRAP!!

I forgot how hard swimming can be on bgs. Justice has a verY high sensitive to being off his pump. His bgs may seems steady but a few hours later high bg and sometimes ketones occur. We have found that he must wear his pump when swimming. Thank you Animas!

But of course with all that insulin he crashes. So reduced basal? Nope tried that. Crash and soar later.

Soooooo after some experiementing ( did I mention we moved into a rental for the same rent as before but with our own pool?, yea so swimming is a daily must!) we found that leaving the pump on and carb loading works great! He had about 50grams uncovered went in at about 210, swam for a good 2 hours straight and came out at 165! Success! I then bolused for the free carbs and he is holding steady.

Now who knows if this will work tomorrow, but it worked today. So we did this in increments of 2 hours at a time and he had a blAst!

I will not let diabetes stop him from doing what he loves...ever.


Summer is here. Diabetes has reared it's ugly head once again.

This D mama says bring it.

Ooooh it feels good to be back. Now to catch up on all my fav D blogs!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos




4 comments:

Wendy Rose said...

WOOT!!! She's back to blogging :)

Congrats on the iPad, the new pad, and the pool!

HAPPY SUMMER!

Reyna said...

Lovin' the BLUE toes Mama!!! And...OMG...no more phone-blogging???

Love the Animas pump for swimming as well. Makes summer life so much easier.

Denise aka Mom of Bean said...

Welcome Back!!
That pool looks fabulous...how could they NOT swim each day?!?!
Glad you've got a game plan for those crazy swimming BGs...here's hoping it works again and again and again!!

Nikki of Our Diabetic Warrior said...

Glad to see you back! I've missed reading your blog.

Congrats on the new pool and iPad!

Celebrate With Us!