Prompted by a wonderful newly dxed family, and Type One Nations recent status update, I do have some advice for those new to the D.
I'm not a doctor, a nurse, or anything professional. Just a mom, who breathes Diabetes and has learned some stuff along the way.
1. Just a number. High or low, that's all it is. It does NOT define you, your child or how well you're doing. It tells a story. It tells you what your next move is, but that's it. So correct, or treat, and move on.
2. Never say "you can't". Say not now, lets figure it out, first lets do this, ok what should we do first, well is it necessary at this moment, and so on. But don't say you can't. Because you/they can!! Cake, pasta, baseball, swimming, glee club, whatever you can think of. They can do. Will it be easy? Probably not. But together, with a plan in place, and some trial and error it can be done.
3. Vent. Scream. Bitch. Cry. Get it out of your system. Blog, tweet, Facebook, call me, anything you need to release the much needed stress diabetes can cause. Do not hold on to it.
4. Please see 3 first. Do NOT do any of this in front of your children. They don't need to see any of that. Follow their lead. If they are laughing at the 540 appearing on the meter, laugh with them. That's right. Stick their ass with an injection, and giggle over some free snacks.
5. Live. Diabetes is not a death sentence. It is not the end of life as we know it. Ok maybe as we know it, but not life itself. You can and will meet the most amazing people because of this disease, and they will enrich your life in a way you never imagined. Hold on to that. Inhale it. Bask in it. Cause it will make each day that much easier.
6. Love. Love yourself, and your child. Love that they are here with you, enjoying each meal, laugh, tv show, baseball game, or Glee episode. Don't mourn the loss of their pancreas or yours. Rejoice in the fact that THEY are still here. YOU are still here.
And I'll end with lucky 7.
7. Laugh. Smile. Dance. Be joyful. Hug. Kiss. Embrace. Trust me on days where D has kicked you down, it will make the world of difference.
And since I'm a rule breaker.. The unnumbered one..
YOU CAN DO THIS.