Monday, May 12, 2014

Day 2 #D-Blog Week Poetry

Day 2 - This year, Diabetes Blog Week and TuDiabetes are teaming up to bring out the poet in you! Write a poem, rhyme, ballad, haiku, or any other form of poetry about diabetes. 

I used to write a lot of D poetry when J was first diagnosed. One of my favorites and most important was one I wrote for newly diagnosed.

Here it is again....for new and not so new family.

"For New Travelers".


There is a road many know little of.


One they never think they will travel.


It's bumpy, and dark, and filled with chaos.


The trees are overgrown and the animals run wild.


You cannot see for sure where you stand; you only know this was not in your plans.


It is not a route you wish for, but one that decides it's your path.


I used to feel alone traveling this road, wondering who else was headed where I was.


As years passed the road became clearer.


The sun started to shine.


The road, you see, it wasn't just mine.


There are others beside me walking along, trying to make sense of what is not the norm.


I used to walk up this road feeling heavy and bleak, not uttering a word for who was I to speak?


I now see by my side, faces of those who have been where I have been and who will go where I go.


Together, we will be.


Laughter and love fill the air, there is joy in our hearts and no more despair.


For if not for this road, I would not have seen all the beautiful things right beside me.


Faces and lives I would never have known and friendships I know can't be outgrown.


For we take this journey together, hand in hand, knowing that this path must be GOD's plan.


I know one day there will be a new road, one we all can't wait to walk.


This road will set us free from the hurt and the pain; a hurt, a pain that if I had never known, I would not be the same.


I now don't see the dark and the sad; I see there is Hope even through bad.


If you end up on the road less traveled, remember it does take time to fix what's unraveled.


But I swear to you here and now, you'll never be alone.

I will sit and show you the calm after the storm.

1 comment:

Mike Hoskins said...

Great poem with so much inspiration for people who are at a point when they need it the most, to know it's going to be OK. And love the D-peep aspect, how we're walking together and helping each other move along that road. To me, in so many ways and instances, I think of those DOCers and others as beacons or even streetlights helping me see my way through. Thanks for writing and sharing this.

Celebrate With Us!